Everything you need to know about Kollab.
How does Kollab work?
Kollab is an online marketplace for musicians. You can use Kollab just like you would use other marketplace websites to employ the services of designers, writers, animators etc. Our site can cater for jobs big or small, so it could be finding a quick drum loop or it could be finding a producer to work with on an upcoming album.
Our website allows users to advertise their services in the form of ‘sessions’, which are fixed price jobs that other users can purchase. Every session has an hourly rate, so you are encouraged to discuss your project with the seller first to get a quote for how many hours you will need to purchase.
Can I make money using Kollab?
The quick answer is yes – but like most good things you will have to do some work. If you are a musician Kollab is the only place where your musical talent can start giving you a return immediately. Our website is straightforward and user-friendly, and the more you put into it the more you can get out. Being a musician often means scraping by financially, but we don’t believe it has to be this way. Our buyers will pay good money for quality musical services so you need to get to work!
I’m not a musician – can I still use the site?
Of course – when you register on the site you will be classed as a buyer – welcome to the Kollab family! For musicians who want to start selling on the website, you must apply to become a vendor. Once approved you will be set up with your own online storefront where you can start creating your musical offerings.
Is Kollab free?
Kollab is free for both buyers and sellers, however we are introducing a paid subscription option later this year which will offer many benefits such as lower commission rates.
Are payments safe and secure?
100% – we use Paypal exclusively which is the most popular and secure online payment gateway available.
Who are Kollab?
We are a new startup founded by two working musicians. Although we are currently based in London we are both proud Northerners, and have been performing musicians for the past 15 years.
Kollab is our vision to create a worldwide service for musicians to collaborate, make money and of course make music. To find out more about our story visit the about us page.
How do I start selling?
To register as a seller, you will need to visit this page. Once you have submitted your registration a member of team will approve it for you and email confirmation.
Once you are registered as a seller you will have access to a user dashboard where you can keep track of all of your sales, orders and profile information.
Why do I need to be approved to be a vendor?
There are two reasons….
- Although we encourage musicians of all experience levels to offer their services, we still want to ensure that everything offered on the website is of value to a buyer. Don’t worry, we don’t judge anybody on musical ability, but if your offering is smashing your head off a cymbal for money its not the kind of thing we want to offer our customers. (FYI we have seen much weirder offerings than this on other marketplace websites).
- We need to ensure that all vendors are legitimate and have a genuine offering for buyers. This is to keep our customer experience a happy one.
What equipment do I need to upload music and start selling?
Here are the basics to get you started on your road to becoming a paid session musician working from home:
- A computer or laptop
- A decent Internet connection
- DAW music recording software (for example Logic, Fruityloops, Ableton, Cakewalk etc. Good recording software does not cost the earth and is a worthwhile investment, but many systems now come with a free software bundle – for example Garageband comes included with any Apple computer or laptop).
- Recording interface – this could be a mixing desk or USB audio interface. Anything that allows you to record your instrument or microphone into the computer. You can pick up a good interface for around £50, so there is no 3excuse not to. Do not rely on the microphone on your computer!
- Video editing software (optional) – this one is optional for people who are serious about sales and want to make the most out of Kollab. There are paid versions of software you can use, but we don’t think they are necessary as there are free versions that are more than adequate to put together a great promo video for your job. Examples are Movie Maker and iMovie that are available for free.
How can I keep track of my sales?
You can do this from your dashboard. Go to My Account > Dashboard > Orders to keep track of all live orders. Once jobs are completed you will receive payment within 3 working days, and you can keep track of all sales you have made under the ‘Earnings’ tab.
Can I amend existing jobs?
Yes, you can do this from your dashboard. Go to My Account > Dashboard > Jobs. Under the actions tab you can click ‘edit’ and make your changes. All changes will be approved by admin usually within 24 hours.
What commission do you charge?
For free users we charge a 20% commission on the total sale price. If you upgrade your subscription to our paid service we will only take a 10% commission. This option will be available later this year. For this reason, we strongly recommend all sellers use our paid service which in most cases pays for itself after a handful of sales and gives you access to all of our features. More features equals more sales!
When will I get paid?
If you are offering a musical service, the order must be marked as completed by the buyer before funds are released. If there is a problem on either side we will step in and resolve the issue. Once completed your payment will reach you in 3-5 working days.
How do I keep track of my order and contact the seller?
Go to Account > My Orders and you can message the seller directly from here to get an update on your job – please note that the seller will have given you an expected delivery time (e.g. 7 days), so try not to harass them and don’t worry if you don’t hear anything until the day your order is due.
I’m not getting any sales – what gives?
Creating sales is an art in itself – you will have lots of competition on the website and you need to make sure you stand out from the crowd. We offer lots of help on how to maximise your sales on our blog but some general rules of success are:
- Be personable – a video introducing yourself to potential customers will always increase sales as this interaction will build trust with your buyers. Let people know who you are and what you can do for them. This doesn’t have to be anything flash – a simple camera recording from your computer or laptop is all it takes to introduce yourself.
- Showcase your best – if your offering guitar services, show either video or audio of your best work. Don’t hold back – let people know what you can offer them!
- Think quality – a recording on your iPhone of you singing in your bathroom is unlikely to get you recording work , no matter how good your voice is. Invest in some basic, inexpensive equipment if need be and make sure your quality is up to scratch. If you have no idea where to start with getting a good quality recording, Kollab users can help. Check out the production page.
- Be detailed – the more information you can give on your jobs the better. Go into detail about your gear, what you will record, how long it will be for, your musical style – the more information buyers have the more likely you will get a sale.
Do you have any vacancies?
As a new startup we are always on the lookout for talented creatives with a passion for music. If you think you fit the bill please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m having a problem with the website who do I contact?
Simply open a support ticket which you can find in the footer and we will get back to you the same day. You must be logged in to open a support ticket.
Do you have help guides/tutorials available?
Yes – visit our HELP PAGE where you can find video tutorials on most of the websites functions.
Can’t find what your looking for? Drop us a line at email@example.com and we can help.